By Joshua Boyd / NCDCHockey.com
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton NCDC and other junior players will have a much easier time getting integrated into the WBS region, thanks to a brand new massive sports academy opened by the organization by the name of Revo Ice Academy.
The Revo Ice Academy Sports is a full-service residential facility with post-sport recovery and dry-land training facilities on site, enough to house all of the Knights’ players who are not from the immediate 60-mile radius.
“We want to try to keep the majority of our players in-house and move them up through the system and the organization and this will help us with true vertical integration,” said Ray Welsh, the Knights Vice President of Operations.
Designed to elevate ice hockey players to their fullest potential, Revo Ice Hockey Academy offers a comprehensive training program that combines world-class coaching, state-of-the-art facilities, and a commitment to fostering both athletic and personal growth. With over 105 beds currently available in phase 1, and an additional 80 beds by spring 2024, this 80,000-square foot facility includes a full-time chef, recovery room, turf area for stretching, laundry facility, student classrooms, and player lounges with a pool table, ping pong table, darts and foosball. With a mission to develop well-rounded athletes who excel both on and off the ice, Revo Ice Hockey Academy is set to revolutionize the way aspiring players approach their training.
“We have seen these sports academies pop up all over the country, and at the same time, we are trying to build a program where a player comes in as a mite and leaves as an NCAA hockey player. Now, with Revo Ice Academy, we can keep moving them up the ladder to our junior teams and the NCDC team,” said Welsh.
The Knights acquired a vacant former Howard Johnson motel just 1.2 miles away from the Revolution Ice Centre, and began one year of intense work to completely renovate it to make it into the new Revo Ice Academy. This facility replaces their former player housing facility in Factoryville, PA as the teams’ player residential facility.
“It is essentially brand new, including new plumbing, heating, electrical, essentially a new building,” said Welsh. “We will be able to transfer the players who don’t have their own vehicles in our Knights-branded passenger vans to the rink, as well as to help them do shopping for any supplies they need. At the Academy, we will provide players with breakfast and dinner with a strong focus on nutrition of an athlete.”
“At Revo Ice Academy, we understand the significance of proper nutrition in fueling performance and aiding recovery. Our dedicated culinary team is passionate about crafting meals that not only meet the nutritional needs of our athletes but also food that is great for young athletes,” said Rob Deluca, Director of Food Services for the Revo Ice Academy. “We source fresh, locally-sourced ingredients and prioritize balanced and diverse menus that cater to various dietary preferences and requirements.”
Below are some of the other key features of Revo Ice Academy:
1. Expert Coaching Staff: Revo’s coaching team comprises former professional players, accomplished coaches, and experts in sports science. Their extensive experience and dedication to player development ensure that each participant receives top-tier guidance.
2. State-of-the-Art Facilities: The academy boasts cutting-edge training facilities, complete with ice rinks, strength and conditioning areas, video analysis rooms, Rapid Shot shooting lane, Rapid Hands, Senae Arena goalie training system, and a turf recovery zone equipped with Normatec equipment. This environment allows athletes to train, learn, and recover all under one roof.
3. Holistic Training Approach: Beyond honing athletic skills, Revo Ice Hockey Academy places strong emphasis on character development, teamwork, and mental resilience. These qualities are considered crucial for success both on and off the ice. From high level skating coaches to mental strength coaches, Revo Academy checks all the boxes for a high level experience.
4. Customized Programs: The academy offers a range of programs tailored to different age groups and skill levels. Whether you play USPHL Tier III, NCDC Tier II or AYHL Tier 1, Revo has a program to suit their needs.
5. Competitive Exposure: Revo Ice Hockey Academy provides opportunities for players to showcase their talents in regional and national competitions, preparing them for the challenges of competitive ice hockey at various levels. With over 30 states represented and 10 countries, Revo Ice Academy is home to the world’s elite athletes that are exposed to the top coaches from NCAA Division I and Division III as well as most major junior programs.
For those athletes still attending high school, there are several options available, including Commonwealth Charter Academy (CCA) for Pennsylvania residents, as well as local private school options like Scranton Preparatory School and Holy Cross High School. Players can also utilize their own hometown online learning services, where available.
“Our academy isn’t just about teaching skills on the ice; it’s about instilling values of determination, teamwork, and leadership that extend far beyond the rink for both our academy players as well as our junior teams”, added Gaetano Moraino, a WBS Elite coach and dormitory RA. “By investing in our youth and juniors and offering them this incredible space to bond, have fun, and hone their abilities, we believe we are contributing to the development of not only great athletes but outstanding individuals.”
WBS Knights NCDC coach Terry Watt added, “Revo Ice Academy was born out of a passion for the game and a desire to create a platform that nurtures athletes’ growth in every aspect. Our academy is more than a training ground; it’s a community where athletes forge lifelong friendships, build character, and pursue hockey excellence together.”
To learn more about Revo Ice Hockey Academy, go to www.revo-ice.com/hockey-academy/